Saturday, April 23, 2011

A to Z Blogging Challenge: S is for Sometimes . . .

S is for Sometimes you need to surprise yourself. We become so accustomed to planning out what we should write, to laying the ground work for articles or blog posts that we forget that sometimes our greatest work comes from a place deep within that doesn't require a map. If you are anything like I am, and I assume you are if you are reading this, you may have fallen prey to "following the formula"--whatever your particular formula may be--and sometimes forget there are other ways to write.

Predictable is good when it comes to providing exactly what the client wants or meeting the particular need of the reader, but it isn't always inspired. Sometimes, going with your inspiration leads you to new areas you hadn't thought about.

Although I don't recommend writing everything on a whim, I have found that several of my articles that were written "off the top of my head" have faired much better that those I slaved over to get just right. It could be coincidence, of course, but I prefer to think that listening to my inner voice is the reason for their success.

Last night, I was talking to a writer friend who was working on a serious list for List My Five about the best degrees for online writers. On a whim, I wrote one too, but mine turned out a little differently than hers. The Top Five Degrees for Online Writers summed up my thoughts at the moment.

It's not great literature and not even great writing, but sometimes you need to surprise yourself with something different, just to keep the creative juices flowing.

No comments: